District of Delaware Issues Re-Opening Guidelines
The U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware issued Re-Opening Guidelines today, describing a four-phase reopening and providing policies to be followed at each stage. During Phase One, which will begin on Wednesday, June 17, 2020, the Court will continue to minimize in-person proceedings by using video-conferencing and teleconferencing whenever possible. For in-person proceedings, the Court will require participants to strictly adhere to social distancing protocols, wear face coverings, and conform to individualized procedures administered at the discretion of each judicial officer. In-person proceedings will be limited to no more than 10 people, where possible, excluding court personnel. The Court does not expect to hold any jury trials during Phase One.
Upon entering Phase Two, which will occur after the completion of still-to-be-determined criteria, the Court will continue to use video-conferencing and teleconferencing when feasible and will begin holding jury trials. Further details will be forthcoming on how those jury trials will proceed. During Phase Three, on-site court proceedings may fully resume, subject to the discretion of the presiding judge. Court activities will resume in full with no restrictions at Phase Four.
Copyright © Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP. These materials have been prepared solely for informational and educational purposes, do not create an attorney-client relationship with the author(s) or Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP, and should not be used as a substitute for legal counseling in specific situations. These materials reflect only the personal views of the author(s) and are not necessarily the views of Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP or its clients.
Read more from Morris Nichols on related topics:
- Update: District of Delaware Continues All Jury Trials Scheduled to Begin Before June 30
- Update: District of Delaware Continues All Jury Trials Scheduled to Begin Before May 31
- District of Delaware Reopens Courthouse
- District of Delaware Closes Courthouse Until Further Notice
- District of Delaware Continues All Jury Trials Scheduled to Begin Before April 30 and Issues Additional Guidance Regarding Other Proceedings
- District of Delaware Remains Open, But Alters Procedures in Response to Coronavirus Outbreak