Bill has spent more than 25 years focusing on Delaware corporate and commercial litigation, with an emphasis on cases involving mergers and acquisitions, proxy contests and consent solicitations, and shareholder class and derivative actions. His litigation practice concentrates on cases pending in the Delaware Court of Chancery and Delaware Supreme Court as well as matters in the federal court both in Delaware and in other jurisdictions. He also advises corporate clients and boards of directors with respect to litigation and transactional matters including representations of special negotiating committees, shareholder demand review committees, and special litigation committees.
Bill has acted as lead or co-counsel in numerous significant litigations involving Delaware corporate law issues, including companies such as Abbott Laboratories, NRG Yield, Tory Burch LLC, eBay, Inc., Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., Google Inc., Facebook, Inc., Caremark CVS, Inc., Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., Regal Entertainment Group, TiVo, Bristol Myers Squibb, Shire, AbbVie, Walgreens, Caesar’s Entertainment, Comcast, Family Dollar, Freeport-McMoRan, Procter & Gamble, and United Technologies Corporation.
Bill also has represented numerous private equity firms in litigations in Delaware arising from M&A transactions, including Thoma Bravo, Texas Pacific Group, Francisco Partners, Apollo, KKR, Insight Venture Partners, Madison Dearborn, and Sun Capital Partners, Inc. He also has represented a number of investment banks in transactional matters and litigation.
He is a Fellow to the American College of Trial Lawyers and serves as a member of the Advisory Board for the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance, Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics, University of Delaware, and the NYU School of Law Institute for Corporate Governance and Finance.
Bill is the author of numerous articles on Delaware corporate law and contributed chapters on appraisal rights and inspection of corporate/partnership books and records to a five volume corporate law treatise. He frequently presents before business and professional audiences on Delaware corporate law, and has been a guest instructor at M&A law classes at Harvard Law School, University of Pennsylvania, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford University, New York University, Columbia University, Penn State Dickinson School of Law, Hofstra University, and Delaware Law School.
- Chambers USA: Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers, Ranked for Chancery in Delaware and described as an “extraordinary” litigator (2004-2019)
- The Legal 500 US, Named a “Leading Lawyer” for his M&A litigation work (2017-2019)
- Benchmark Litigation, Named a Delaware Litigation Star (2013-2018)
- Delaware Super Lawyers, Selected by his peers for inclusion in business litigation (2007-2019) and ranked number one on the “Top 10” list for Delaware (2018-2019)
- U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers, Recognized as a leading Delaware litigator (2007-2019)
- Who’s Who Legal, Listed as a leading M&A and corporate governance practitioner (2014-2019)
- LawDragon’s 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Selected for inclusion among the leading attorneys in the United States (2012-2015, 2018)