Karen is Practice Group Coordinator of the Intellectual Property Litigation Group, and also serves on the Firm’s Executive Committee. Her practice focuses primarily on patent litigation. She also has experience with a variety of other intellectual property and commercial litigation, including copyright, trademark, trade secret, unfair competition, and contract and licensing disputes.
Karen has served in both lead counsel and co-counsel roles, with experience in a range of industries, including pharmaceutical and biotechnology, life sciences, electronics, computer software, telecommunications, and consumer products. Her representative clients include Thermo Fisher, Facebook, Instagram, Amazon.com, Genentech, Sprint, Shire Pharmaceuticals, Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, Motorola Mobility, Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Astellas, ON Semiconductor, and PCM.
She has been recognized as an intellectual property law leader by Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America®, Delaware Super Lawyers, Managing IP, and others. Karen is an avid advocate of legal representation for the poor. She is a board member and past president of Delaware Volunteer Legal Services. She recently served as chair of the Combined Campaign for Justice, which benefits the three legal aid agencies in Delaware that serve low-income populations. Karen served for eight years as a member of the Delaware State Bar Association’s Committee for the Provision of Legal Services to Low Income People.
Karen also serves as co-chair of the Delaware State Bar Association Professional Guidance Committee, which offers peer guidance and support to lawyers with practice-related or personal issues, and as the Legal Community Section Chair of the United Way of Delaware. She also serves on the Board of Directors of the American Civil Liberties Union of Delaware, the Board of Directors of the Delaware Lawyers Assistance Fund and the Philadelphia Regional Advisory Board of the Caron Treatment Center. She previously served as chair of the Women and Law Section of the Delaware State Bar Association, and as an associate member of the Board of Bar Examiners. In 2001, she was appointed by Governor Minner to serve a three year term on the State of Delaware Council on Early Care and Education. She also was appointed by Governor Markell to serve on the Workers’ Compensation Oversight Panel.
In 2009, Karen was the recipient of the Delaware State Bar Association’s Women’s Leadership Award. The award is presented to a member of the Delaware Bar whose character, strength, personality, achievement and activities in matters affecting women lawyers have served as an inspiration to and a model for women lawyers. She also was awarded the Delaware State Bar Association’s Community Service Award in 2003.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Ranked in Delaware for intellectual property (2005-2019)
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, Ranked among leading Delaware patent professionals (2014-2019)
- Managing Intellectual Property, Recognized as an “IP Star” (2014-2019) and named one of the Top 250 Women in IP (2014-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers Business Edition: Women in the Law, Selected for inclusion for Delaware intellectual property and patent litigation (2011-2019)
- Delaware Super Lawyers, Selected for inclusion for intellectual property litigation in Delaware (2007-2019)
- Who’s Who Legal: Patents, Listed among top patent practitioners (2014-2019)