Derek represents Fortune 1000, local, international and other organizations as lead or Delaware counsel in bankruptcy proceedings and litigation on behalf of debtors, creditors, official and ad hoc committees and transactional case constituents.
Derek regularly works with debtors-in-possession (“DIP”) and exit financing lenders, as well as outside and inside counsel, turnaround professionals, crisis management firms, and investment and non-investment bank professionals. His recent client representations include AT&T Inc., General Motors Corporation, Quality Care Properties, Philips International, Viacom Inc., TD Bank, and Nortel Networks.
Derek is a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, receiving a B.S. in 1987. He has made the honor, leadership, and discipline that are the hallmarks of that institution the cornerstones of his professional career. In 2016, he was invited to join the 28th Class of Fellows of the American College of Bankruptcy. In 2018, he was presented the Delaware State Bar Association’s Access to Justice Commitment Award, recognizing his sterling commitment to pro bono work throughout his career. In 2011, he was the recipient of the Caleb R. Layton III Service Award, given by the judges of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Delaware to an attorney who personifies the qualities of a federal practitioner: legal acumen, professional decorum, and public service. Derek’s Delaware community activities are frequent and diverse ranging from assisting the Delaware Legal Services Community with fundraising activities, to serving as legal counsel for a variety of indigent clients through Delaware Volunteer Legal Services. He chairs the Morris Nichols pro bono committee and sits on the Firm’s recruiting committee.
He frequently presents before national and Delaware bar associations, bankruptcy organizations and other business and professional audiences. His client and peer recommendations are numerous and have resulted in his recognition by Chambers USA: Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Ranked Band 1 in Delaware for bankruptcy/restructuring (2012-2020), with sources describing him as “very skilled, careful, charismatic and an excellent choice to run a complicated Chapter 11 case.”
- IFLR1000 United States, Selected as a leading Delaware lawyer in the guide to financial and corporate law firms (2018-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Listed in the bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights / insolvency and reorganization category (2007-2020); Designated “Lawyer of the Year” in various Delaware categories (2010, 2017-2020)
- Delaware Super Lawyers, Selected by his peers for inclusion for work in bankruptcy: business (2008-2019)
- Who’s Who Legal, Listed among top restructuring and insolvency practitioners (2014-2019)