Curtis focuses on corporate restructuring, bankruptcy and litigation. He has been involved in bankruptcy proceedings and litigation on behalf of a variety of national and regional clients, including debtors, creditors and official committees, private equity firms, hedge funds, and lenders.
Curtis currently represents publicly-held and privately-held companies in their efforts to restructure. He also acts as counsel for both plaintiffs and defendants in various bankruptcy-related litigation matters, including preference, fraudulent transfer, turnover actions, and breach of contract actions.
Curtis also advises clients in out-of-court restructurings, including assignments for the benefit of creditors, Article 9 foreclosures, and state law dissolutions. These representations have involved debtor and creditor representations in a wide range of industries, including the food, manufacturing, waste water treatment, retail, construction and manufacturing industries.
A frequent speaker, Curtis has spoken on numerous panels about bankruptcy issues, including:
- ABI Mid-Level Professional Development Program, moderated a discussion on practice tips from the bench with panel including Hon. Shelley C. Chapman, The Hon. Barbara Houser, and The Hon. Vincent Papalia (2019)
- ABA Section of Litigation’s Bankruptcy & Insolvency Litigation Committee, roundtable discussion on bankruptcy litigation trends with co-panelists The Hon. Vincent Papalia and The Hon. Robert E. Gerber. Discussion of important issues in recent bankruptcy cases, “resurrections” of failed retailers, and a legislative update on small business bankruptcies (2019)
- ABA Section of Litigation’s Bankruptcy & Insolvency Litigation Committee, roundtable discussion on bankruptcy litigation trends with co-panelists The Hon. Robert E. Gerber and The Hon. Rosemary Gambardella. Session examined recent valuation decisions, the limits of fraudulent transfer actions, and the status of non-consensual, third-party releases in plans of reorganization (2018)
- Delaware Federal Bar Association Bench & Bar Conference, moderated a discussion on bankruptcy DIP financing trends, with panel including Delaware Chief Bankruptcy Judge Brendan L. Shannon and Judge Laurier Selber Silverstein (2018)
- National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, panelist on case developments in equitable mootness (2017)
- 12th Annual Mid Atlantic ABI Workshop, spoke in a panel discussion on the standards for Chapter 11 trustee appointments (2016)
- Delaware Federal Bar Association Bench & Bar Conference, moderated a discussion on oil & gas issues in bankruptcy law with panel including Delaware Bankruptcy Judge Kevin J. Carey and Judge Laurier Selber Silverstein (2016)
- View More.
Curtis devotes a portion of his time to pro bono matters, serving as volunteer counsel in protection from abuse proceedings before the Family Court for the State of Delaware. He also serves as a member of the Morris Nichols Diversity Committee.
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Recognized as a leading Delaware bankruptcy/restructuring practitioner (2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Listed as a leading Delaware attorney for bankruptcy litigation (2019-2020)
- Delaware Super Lawyers, Recognized as a Rising Star (2013-2017)
- Benchmark Litigation, Featured on “Under 40 Hotlist” (2017)
- The M&A Advisor, Named as a “40 Under 40 Emerging Leader” in the legal advisor category (2015)