- J.D., class valedictorian and Order of the Coif, 1988, The College of William and Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Member, William and Mary Law Review
- B.A., 1981, Washington and Lee University
Admissions to Practice
- Delaware, 1989
- Virginia, 1990
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1993
R. Judson Scaggs, Jr.
PartnerTel: (302) 351-9340
Fax: (302) 425-3014
R.J. is a member of the Corporate and Business Litigation Group.
He provides pro bono legal services through the Delaware Volunteer Legal Services Program. R.J. was an officer in the United States Marine Corps from 1981 to 1985.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Delaware State Bar Association, Corporation Law and Litigation Sections
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- R.J. has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America and voted one of the "top lawyers" in Delaware by his peers in a survey conducted by Delaware Today Magazine. R.J. has also been selected by Corporate Counsel as one of its Top Lawyers in the area of “Bet-The-Company” litigation.
- Gatz v. Ponsoldt, 925 A.2d. 1265 (Del. 2007) (en banc) (distinction between derivative claims and direct class action claims)
- Accredited Home Lenders Holding Co. v. Lone Star Fund V (U.S.), L.P., et al., C.A. No. 3160-VCL (“busted deal” litigation seeking specific performance of merger agreement)
- Clear Channel Broadcasting, Inc., et al. v. Newport Television LLC, C.A. No. 3550-VCS (“busted deal” litigation seeking specific performance of asset purchase agreement)
- Alliance Data Systems Corporation v. Blackstone Capital Partners V, L.P., et al., C.A. No. 3796-VCS (defense of attempt to force closing of merger)
- WatchMark Corp. v. Argo Global Capital, LLC, 2004 WL 2694894 (Del. Ch. Nov. 4, 2004) (alteration of rights of preferred stockholders)
- FS Parallel Fund v. Ergen, 2004 WL 3048751 (Del. Ch. Nov. 3, 2004), aff’d on appeal, No. 521, 2004 (July 21, 2005) (en banc) (breach of fiduciary duty claims related to satellite internet service)
- Malone v. Brincat, 722 A.2d 5 (Del. Supr. 1998) (en banc) (disclosure duties of directors)
- Witco Corp. v. Beekhuis, 38 F.2d 682 (3d Cir. Oct. 21, 1994) (federal preemption of state regulation of trustees)
- In re Siliconix Shareholders Litigation, 2001 WL 716787 (Del. Ch. June 19, 2001) (duties of directors in connection with tender offers)
- Pennsylvania Employee Benefit Trust Fund v. Zeneca, Inc. and AstraZeneca, Inc., 2005 WL 2993937 (D. Del. Nov. 8, 2005) (FDA preemption of state consumer fraud claims)
- R.J. Scaggs Headlines at DSBA Seminar: Your Law Practice – Staying on the Right Side of the Rules
Wilmington, DE (October 7, 2013) – R.J. Scaggs, Morris Nichols Corporate and Business Litigation partner, served as a featured speaker on the Hanging Out and Taking Down that Shingle – Or Just Hanging By A Thread panel at the Delaware State Bar Association seminar, Your Law Practice – Staying on the Right Side of the Rules, held at the DSBA Conference Center, Wilmington, DE, on October 1, 2013. The Seminar was broadcast live via webcast.
- Morris Nichols Attorneys Named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America – 60 Practice Specialty Selections; 22 Top-Listed Practice areas; 5 Delaware Lawyers of the Year
Morris Nichols is pleased to announce that two thirds of the firm's partnership have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
- Morris Nichols Caps Successful Seven-Day Jury Trial in Athenian Venture Partners Dispute
Wilmington, DE (June 28, 2013) – R.J. Scaggs, Morris Nichols Corporate and Business Litigation partner, and associate Karl Randall, headed the Morris Nichols trial team that represented Athenian Venture Partners, I, L.P. and Athenian Venture Partners II, L.P. in their successful breach of contract dispute against GMG Capital Investments, LLC, GMG Capital Partners III, L.P., GMG Capital Partners III Companion Fund, L.P. and GMS Capital Partners II, L.P.
- 22 Morris Nichols Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers – Delaware Edition 2013
22 Morris Nichols attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers - Delaware Edition 2013.
- 28 Morris Nichols Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2013
28 Morris Nichols attorneys have been named to The Best Lawyers in America 2013 in twenty two practice areas.
- Andrew M. Johnston, R. Judson Scaggs, Jr., Andrew Johnston and R.J. Scaggs, Jr. Speak at 31st Annual Securities Regulation and Business Law Conference, Dallas, February 2009