- J.D., with honors, 1995, University of North Carolina School of Law
- Staff Member, 1993-1994 and Publication Editor, 1994-1995, North Carolina Law Review
- B.S., 1987, United States Military Academy
Admissions to Practice
- Delaware, 1995
Derek C. Abbott
PartnerTel: (302) 351-9357
Fax: (302) 425-4664
Derek C. Abbott is a member of Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group — regarded by the Daily Bankruptcy Review as among the nation’s most prolific. Most recently, the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) announced that Derek has been elected to ABI’s Board of Directors. An ABI member since 1998 Derek has been a speaker, a member of ABI’s Business Reorganization Committee and assisted in the planning of various conferences and educational panels. He will serve a term of three years on the 60-member ABI Board of Directors. He represents Fortune 1000, local, international and other organizations as lead or Delaware counsel in bankruptcy proceedings and litigation on behalf of debtors, creditors, official and ad hoc committees and transactional case constituents. Derek works regularly with outside and inside counsel, turnaround professionals, crisis management firms, investment and non-investment bank professionals, and DIP and exit financing lenders. His recent client representations include Nortel Networks, Overseas Shipholding Group, Delta Petroleum, Johnson Controls, AT&T, FKF Madison Group Owner, LLC, Lillian Vernon Corporation, Hancock Fabrics, Hollinger, Inc. and Nobex Corporation.
Derek is a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, receiving a B.S. in 1987. He has made the honor, leadership, and discipline that are the hallmarks of that institution the cornerstones of his professional career. In 2011, he was the recipient of the Caleb R. Layton III Service Award, given by the judges of the United States District and Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Delaware to an attorney who personifies the qualities of a federal practitioner: legal acumen, professional decorum, and public service. Derek’s Delaware community activities are frequent and diverse; from assisting the Delaware Legal Services Community with its fundraising activities to serving as legal counsel for a variety of indigent clients through Delaware Volunteer Legal Services. He chairs Morris Nichols’ pro bono committee and sits on the firm’s recruiting committees.
An active member of the Bankruptcy Section, and Chapter 11 Committee, of the Delaware State Bar Association, Derek is also a member of the American Bar Association, Turnaround Management Association. He frequently presents before these and other business and professional audiences. His client and peer recommendations are numerous and have resulted in his recognition by Chambers USA: Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America, and his selection for inclusion in Delaware Super Lawyers.
Derek received his J.D., with honors, from the University of North Carolina School of Law in 1995, where he served as Staff Member, 1993-1994, and Publication Editor, 1994-1995, for the North Carolina Law Review.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Committee on Business Bankruptcy; Litigation Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Delaware State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Chapter 11 Committee
- Co-chair, Pro Bono Committee, Delaware State Bar Association
- Veterans Committee, Delaware State Bar Association
- Co-Chair, New Castle County for Combined Campaign for Justice fundraising effort to support pro bono legal services in Delaware
- Delaware Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- CBS/King World – represented major television network and syndication business in connection with Pappas Telecasting bankruptcies.
- Hollinger, Inc. – filed first Chapter 15 proceedings in Delaware.
- Nobex Corporation – litigated first motion regarding post-petition employee incentive compensation plans after adoption of the 2005 Amendments and the new 503(c) provisions of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Georgia-Pacific – Pope & Talbot bankruptcy proceedings.
- Chambers USA 2015 Ranks 23 Morris Nichols Attorneys and 4 Practice Groups Among the Best in Delaware
- 16 Morris Nichols Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2015 Delaware Super Lawyers
- 28 Morris Nichols Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015
Morris Nichols is pleased to announce that 28 firm attorneys were selected for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. Two partners received special recognition as 2015 Delaware Lawyer of the Year: Jack B. Blumenfeld for Litigation-Patent, and Kenneth J. Nachbar for Bet-the-Company Litigation.
- Who’s Who Legal: Insolvency & Restructuring 2014 Names Morris Nichols Attorneys
Derek C. Abbott and Robert J. Dehney have been named in the Who’s Who Legal: Insolvency & Restructuring 2014, an independent research guide on the world’s leading lawyers.
- 17 Morris Nichols Attorneys Selected For Inclusion in Super Lawyers- Delaware Edition 2014
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
- Chambers USA 2014 Names 21 Morris Nichols Attorneys and 4 Practice Groups as Best in Delaware
Chambers annually conducts in-depth interviews of commercial users of legal services to assess the strengths and reputations of US attorneys. Rankings are based on technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment, and other qualities most valued by clients.
- Morris Nichols Partner, Derek C. Abbott Elected to ABI’s Board of Directors
- 2014 Chambers USA Directory Ranks 21 Morris Nichols Attorneys as 'Leaders in their Field"
- Morris Nichols Attorneys Named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America – 60 Practice Specialty Selections; 22 Top-Listed Practice areas; 5 Delaware Lawyers of the Year
Morris Nichols is pleased to announce that two thirds of the firm's partnership have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
- Chambers USA 2013 Names 17 Morris Nichols Attorneys and 4 Practice Groups as Best In Delaware
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business today ranked seventeen Morris Nichols’ attorneys and four practice groups as best in Delaware.
- 22 Morris Nichols Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers – Delaware Edition 2013
22 Morris Nichols attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers - Delaware Edition 2013.
- 28 Morris Nichols Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2013
28 Morris Nichols attorneys have been named to The Best Lawyers in America 2013 in twenty two practice areas.
- Derek Abbott Receives the Caleb R. Layton III Service Award
Derek Abbott is the 2011 recipient of the Caleb R. Layton III Service Award.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Wins 2010 Turnaround Atlas Award
Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group has won a Turnaround Atlas Award for its role as debtor’s counsel to Big 10 Tire Stores in the successful reorganization and sale of its operations.
- Derek Abbott Presents at 4th Annual Distressed Investing Conference and Turnaround Awards Gala – Case Study: Ritz Camera
Derek Abbott served as a featured speaker on the panel “Turnaround Case Study: Ritz Camera” at The M&A Advisor’s 4th Annual Distressed Investing Conference and Turnaround Awards Gala.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Named a Finalist in Three Categories for the 4th Annual Turnaround Awards
The M&A Advisor today announced that Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group has been named a finalist in three categories for the 4th Annual Turnaround Awards.
- Derek Abbott Presents at 10th Annual Advanced Insolvency & Restructuring Law Conference - Best Practices for Managing Cross-Border Insolvencies & Restructurings
Derek Abbott served as a panel speaker for Best Practices for Managing Cross-Border Insolvencies & Restructurings at the 10th Annual Advanced Insolvency & Restructuring Law Conference.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Wins The M&A Advisor U.S. Middle-Market Financing Award
The M&A Advisor has named Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group the winner of its U.S. Middle-Market Financing Award in the Retail Manufacturing/Distribution & Good/Services sector deal category for its representation of Hancock Fabrics, Inc., in its successful Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Derek Abbott Speaks at 5th Annual ABI Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Conference – Capital Markets: Making Bricks without Straw
Derek Abbott served as a panel speaker for Capital Markets: Making Bricks without Straw at the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Conference
- Morris Nichols Represents RCI Acquisition LLC in Successful Bid to Regain Control of Ritz Camera Centers
Derek Abbott successfully concluded a marathon 24-hour auction on behalf of RCI Acquisition LLC in its bid for the assets of Ritz Camera Centers, Inc., America’s largest specialty camera store chain.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Wins Turnaround Atlas Award For Role in Restructuring of Hancock Fabrics, Inc.
Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group has won a Turnaround Atlas Award for its role in the restructuring of Hancock Fabrics, Inc.
- Morris Nichols Recognized for Role as Debtor's Counsel in Successful Reorganization of Big 10 Tire Stores
Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group was recognized for its role as debtor’s counsel to Big 10 Tire Stores.
- Derek Abbott Quoted in Bloomberg on Tribune Co's Proposed Sale of Chicago Cubs
Partner Derek Abbott was quoted by Bloomberg media in an article about the Tribune Company’s proposed sale of the Chicago Cubs.