- J.D., 1990, Pace University School of Law
- Managing Editor, Pace Environmental Law Review
- B.A., 1987, Dickinson College
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Prudence Beatty, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, S.D.N.Y.
Admissions to Practice
- Connecticut, 1990
- Delaware, 1997
- New York, 1995
- Pennsylvania, 1997
Robert J. Dehney
PartnerTel: (302) 351-9353
Fax: (302) 425-4673
For over 20 years, Rob Dehney’s practice has focused on corporate restructuring and counseling including representation of boards of directors and committees. A former law clerk to the Honorable Prudence Beatty of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York and formerly with Willkie Farr & Gallagher in New York City, Rob has spearheaded the growth and success of Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group—now top-tier Chambers rated and regarded by The Daily Bankruptcy Review as one of the most prolific restructuring and reorganizing practices in the U.S.—winner of a 2012, 2010 and 2009 Turnaround Atlas Award and 2009 M&A Advisor U.S. Middle-Market Financing Award. Rob also serves as a member of Morris Nichols' Executive Committee.
Rob’s substantial experience extends to representations of debtors and creditors in all facets of pre- and post-Chapter 11 filings that include out-of-court reorganization and restructuring, acquisitions and specialized lending arrangements. He also provides corporate governance, fiduciary duty and strategic advice to boards of directors, special committees and executives. He works regularly with inside and outside counsel, turnaround professionals, crisis management firms, investment and non-investment bank professionals, and DIP and exit financing lenders.
Rob’s representative engagements span diverse industry segments and include retail, airline, housing, steel manufacturing, insurance, mortgage brokerage and consumer finance on behalf of such companies as Security National Properties Funding III, LLC, RG Steel LLC, Maine Today Media, Trico Marine Services, Inc., and special counsel to DBSD North America, Inc. Representative engagements for board of directors/special committees include Pinnacle Airlines Corp., Riverstone Networks, Inc., and P&F Industries, Inc. Representative matters on behalf of other parties include the official equity committees in Syms Corp./Filenes Basement and Owens Corning Corporation, and ad hoc committees in NewPage Corporation, Bicent Power LLC, and Evergreen Solar, Inc.
A frequent speaker before business and professional audiences, Rob has addressed attendees at The Distressed Debt Conference, the Distressed Retail Summit: Turnarounds, Restructurings, Bankruptcies & Distressed Investing Conference, New York Institute of Credit/ABF Journal/TMA Philadelphia Conference, iiBIG’s Alternative Investment All-Star Forum, Distressed M&A and Investments Summit, VALCON and at conferences coordinated by the ABI Journal, the Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, Global Restructuring Practice, and The Journal of Private Equity.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Delaware State Bar Association
- Rob has been recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers For Business as an outstanding bankruptcy attorney in Delaware, since 2004. He has been praised as "creative," with an "uncanny ability to spot issues that he can use to his client’s advantage."
- Rob was selected for inclusion in the inaugural listing of Delaware Super Lawyers which recognizes the top attorneys throughout the state who have achieved high standards for their legal ability.
- Rob was also named to the inaugural listing of Lawdragon 500 - New Stars, New Worlds which lists the "freshest faces in American law." Lawdragon is a definitive guide to the nation's best lawyers. Rob is the only Delaware bankruptcy attorney to receive this honor.
Rob’s recent representative engagements include acting as company bankruptcy counsel in the bankruptcies of RG Steel, LLC, the fourth largest flat-rolled steel company in the United States, Security National Properties Funding III, LLC, a commercial real estate developer/owner of regional shopping centers and multitenant office buildings across 15 states, J. Silver Clothing, a women’s wear retailer, Oakwood Homes, a vertically integrated housing company, Rouge Steel, a vertically integrated steel manufacturer, and Thaxton Group, Inc., a diversified company providing insurance, mortgage brokering and consumer loans and related services; acting as counsel to EchoStar Corporation in the Delta Airlines bankruptcy cases, Fortistar in NRG’s bankruptcy, Gleacher Mezzanine Fund I, L.P. and Gleacher Mezzanine Fund P, L.P., in the bankruptcy case of Norstan Apparel Shops, Inc., d/b/a Fashion Cents and its affiliated debtors, acting as counsel to the largest unsecured creditor and landlord in Pharmaceutical Formulations, Inc. and the ad hoc committee of bonds in aaiPharma’s bankruptcy cases. Rob has substantial experience representing purchasers of assets, including McDonalds Corp., Echostar Corporation, IER Corp and Hancock Fabrics. Rob also advises boards of directors and/or individual members on insolvency related matters, including Pinnacle Airlines, Riverstone Networks, Williams Communication, AOL Latin America and Xybernaut Corporation.
- Morris Nichols Attorneys Named to 2014 Best Lawyers in America – 60 Practice Specialty Selections; 22 Top-Listed Practice areas; 5 Delaware Lawyers of the Year
Morris Nichols is pleased to announce that two thirds of the firm's partnership have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
- Chambers USA 2013 Names 17 Morris Nichols Attorneys and 4 Practice Groups as Best In Delaware
The 2013 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business today ranked seventeen Morris Nichols’ attorneys and four practice groups as best in Delaware.
- 22 Morris Nichols Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers – Delaware Edition 2013
22 Morris Nichols attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers - Delaware Edition 2013.
- 28 Morris Nichols Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2013
28 Morris Nichols attorneys have been named to The Best Lawyers in America 2013 in twenty two practice areas.
- Morris Nichols Helps Fox Sports To Successful Outcome In Dodgers Bankruptcy
Attorneys from Morris Nichols helped preserve valuable media rights held by News Corporation’s Fox Sports Net West 2, LLC (“Prime Ticket”) in the face of challenges by the bankrupt Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Wins 2010 Turnaround Atlas Award
Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group has won a Turnaround Atlas Award for its role as debtor’s counsel to Big 10 Tire Stores in the successful reorganization and sale of its operations.
- Rob Dehney Presents at 3rd Annual New York Institute of Credit/ABF Journal/TMA Philadelphia Education Conference
Robert Dehney served on the panel Today’s Climate in Reorganizations – Views From Legal/Turnaround Professionals & Bankruptcy Judges at the 3rd Annual New York Institute of Credit/ABF Journal/TMA Philadelphia Education Conference.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Named a Finalist in Three Categories for the 4th Annual Turnaround Awards
The M&A Advisor today announced that Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group has been named a finalist in three categories for the 4th Annual Turnaround Awards.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Wins The M&A Advisor U.S. Middle-Market Financing Award
The M&A Advisor has named Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group the winner of its U.S. Middle-Market Financing Award in the Retail Manufacturing/Distribution & Good/Services sector deal category for its representation of Hancock Fabrics, Inc., in its successful Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Morris Nichols Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group Wins Turnaround Atlas Award For Role in Restructuring of Hancock Fabrics, Inc.
Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group has won a Turnaround Atlas Award for its role in the restructuring of Hancock Fabrics, Inc.
- Morris Nichols Recognized for Role as Debtor's Counsel in Successful Reorganization of Big 10 Tire Stores
Morris Nichols’ Business Reorganization and Restructuring Group was recognized for its role as debtor’s counsel to Big 10 Tire Stores.
- Rob Dehney Moderates at Distressed & Turnaround Investment Forum 2009 - Focus on DIP Availability, Sources, Terms
Robert Dehney was a featured moderator at the Distressed & Turnaround Investment Forum.
- Robert J. Dehney, Curtis S. Miller, Robert Dehney and Curtis Miller Author Article for Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law
- Robert J. Dehney, Curtis S. Miller, Covering Your Tail: Court Approves Advancement of Legal Fees to Directors and Officers under §363, ABI Journal, Vol. XXVI, No. 5, p. 26 (June 2007)
- Robert J. Dehney, Public Sector Restructurings, Recoveries and Insolvencies: A Trend for the Future?, Developmental Specialists, Inc. CLE Program (February 2006)
- Robert J. Dehney, Curtis S. Miller, Daniel B. Butz, Restructuring Under Delaware Law: An Attractive Alternative, Financier Worldwide -- Global Restructuring Review 2005, at 47-48 (Sept. 2005)
- Robert J. Dehney, Curtis S. Miller, Daniel B. Butz, The Importance of Good Corporate Form: Preventing the Involuntary Distribution of Your Assets to Creditors of a Bankruptcy Affiliate or Subsidiary, The Journal of Private Equity (Spring 2005)